Are you thinking of having a CCTV camera system installed to protect your gym? Not sure how many cameras you will need or where to place them? A properly installed, effective security camera system helps to keep staff, gym members, and your company assets safe from security risks such as theft, vandalism, and even violence. Maybe you already have a current security system in place but are concerned that there are not enough cameras to cover all areas of risk.
The number of CCTV cameras needed for your gym will depend on a number of factors. When considering security for your gym, you will have to consider the size of your gym, the number of members, and the extent of your surveillance needs.
In this blog article, we will be discussing how many CCTV cameras will be sufficient for your gym. Continue reading to learn more!
Determining How Many CCTV Cameras Your Gym Needs
There are a number of questions you can consider asking yourself if you are planning to install CCTV cameras in your gym. When partnering with a security company for this task, they may also ask you the following questions. These include:
- What are your most pressing security concerns?
- What is the size of your location?
- Do you need outside security to cover areas like car parks, entrances etc?
- How many members belong to your gym?
- How many staff members do you have and what are their schedules?
- Does your location have private parking or do you share parking as part of another building?
- How many pieces of equipment do you have?
- How many different rooms do you have for separate training such as fitness classes, weight rooms, cardio, etc?
- Do you have a snack bar or restaurant on location?
- Is there a swimming pool on the property?
- Do you hire external staff such as car guards or personal trainers who come and go at irregular hours?
- Do you have sauna rooms, steam rooms, etc.?
- How many locker rooms do have at your gym and are they separate from the shower and changing rooms?
Once you have assessed the risk and the critical areas to be covered, a consultant can help choose the ideal security set-up for your particular requirements with the right number of cameras.
Another important consideration in choosing how many CCTV cameras you need is to decide how many days’ worth of video coverage you would like to retain. This will influence how much storage space you require from the system, how many cameras should be recording, at what resolution, and for how long. The more storage space available on your DVR or NVR the more video can be retained.
Standard systems have anywhere from 4TB to 28TB of storage space. In such a scenario a standard 10-camera system running 24 hours per day can be expected to record approximately 10 days of video on 4TB or 20 days on 8TB of storage space. It is important to know how much storage space you would like to retain before deciding on your security system requirements.
It is important to remember that the privacy of your gym members and staff should be a high priority when deciding on the location of CCTV cameras for gyms. CCTV cameras should only be placed in public areas and never installed in any sensitive areas such as restrooms, change rooms, or showers where privacy is paramount.
Well-placed security cameras can help deter and prevent theft of property and vandalism in public locations like gyms. HD digital cameras are easy to install and configure and the latest security systems can be set up in minutes in strategic spots. Gym members are more likely to choose your gym if you have adequate security in place to protect their property and safety in a monitored environment where they feel secure and safe.
Innertelligence Security systems make it possible for your gym to provide your members with a safe environment to move around freely.
Please give us a call at 1300 312 184 or leave an enquiry to learn more about integrated gym access control and CCTV security solutions today!