If you have decided to install a CCTV system for protecting your business, it is one of the best things you can do to get peace of mind. However, the installation of a CCTV system is only the first step in making your premises secure. You also need to understand how the system works and how you can use it to improve security. In this blog post, we will explore what you should do to get the most from your business CCTV system.
What Is a CCTV System?
As you are probably aware, a CCTV system is a closed circuit television system. The camera records activity and it is transferred to a DVR for transcoding and can then be viewed on several devices. A CCTV system could have a single camera or multiple cameras.
There are a variety of cameras available in the market today and there are also several solutions for recording and storing the footage. You shouldn’t have any problem finding the best system for your business’s security needs.
How Do a CCTV System Works?
There are multiple components of a CCTV system including a camera, storage equipment as well as a viewing device. The camera records the activity which is sent to a DVR for transcoding. The recording can be stored at the location but can also be uploaded to the cloud depending on the setup. Live recording can also be viewed.
There are also IP cameras that are not exactly CCTV but they function like one. These cameras transfer footage over the Internet which can be viewed from anywhere.
Making the Most of Your CCTV System
There are plenty of affordable security cameras available in the market today. It’s not that difficult to buy a few cameras and connect them to a system and call it a CCTV system.
However, when it comes to a professional business CCTV system, there is a lot more to it than just installing cameras here and there. Here’s what you need to know to get the most out of your CCTV system:
- Supplement the CCTV system with physical security
- Choose the right camera depending on your needs
- Try to cover as much area as possible
- Make sure the cameras are placed just right to get maximum coverage
- Make sure the system is always up to date and there are no security vulnerabilities
- Consider a comprehensive security solution where the CCTV system is an integral part of the overall security system including smart locks or access systems.
- Decide where the footage is going to be stored. Even though storage is cheap, you still need to consider the fact that high-resolution recording takes up a lot of space. A camera that records in FHD for 7 days continuously will need more than 4 TB of storage space. If you plan to upload this much footage to the cloud, it’s also going to cost money.
- Choose a system that’s scalable. Make sure you are able to add extra cameras as and when needed.
- Engage the services of a professional security team with plenty of experience in designing and installing proper security solutions. The team will help you choose the right system and also, maintain it to provide comprehensive security at all times.
Tips for Using CCTV for Business Security
While CCTV footage is a great option to capture criminal activity, it serves a broader purpose for businesses. Here are a few tips to help you use CCTV for enhancing business security:
Conspicuous cameras: Make sure you put signage alongside CCTV cameras and install a few at conspicuous locations to make potential criminals aware that they are being watched. This is an excellent deterrent as most criminals stay away from premises where they know that their activities are being recorded.
Privacy laws: If you can afford to buy cameras for your business, it does not mean that you can put them anywhere and record footage. There are strong privacy laws that are continuously evolving and you need to make sure that you are always compliant with such laws. If you have any doubts, consult with an experienced security professional to understand what can and cannot be recorded.
Research your options: There are thousands of options for CCTV systems. Research options to find something that works best for your business. If you don’t have the time or you are just overwhelmed by the sheer number of options, consider engaging a professional team to help you get the best CCTV system that serves your needs and fits within your budget.
Think about storage: When it comes to recordings, you should seriously consider investing in cloud storage as a backup or even as the primary storage in addition to a local storage server.
Overall, a CCTV system is one of the best investments you can make to enhance the security of your business. It helps in deterring criminals as well as help in preventing shoplifting, fraud and employee theft.
A CCTV installation isn’t about putting cameras anywhere you like. You need to clearly think about security and cover all the critical locations. The best way to do that is to engage the services of an experienced team that can help you choose the right system and install it properly to provide maximum coverage.
Hire Innertelligence to Install Your CCTV System!
InnerTelligence is one of the premier security solutions providers in Australia. We have helped hundreds of businesses make their premises secure with CCTV systems and other security solutions. Our experts will work with you to create a customised CCTV setup that is adequate for your needs and fits within your budget.
Please give us a call at 1300 312 184 or leave an enquiry to learn more about integrated gym access control and CCTV security solutions today!